The way we live our lives has changed with social media. From how we get our news to how we communicate with those we love. Social media is everywhere. It’s impossible to avoid, it’s strong, and it’s here to stay.
Social media has evolved exponentially since 2004 and has not yet hit its peak. There’s no doubt that social media sites are a big source of information and news now. But that’s not all. Social media platforms are unique in how you interact with customers.
They not only provide users with a platform for interacting beyond local and social limits. But they also offer endless possibilities for sharing user-generated content, such as images and videos.
Here are thirty facts on social media marketing that will change the way you think about social media!
1. 79% of the U.S. population has a profile on at least one social networking site. Social media marketing can link your company with a huge portion of the population. Social media advertisement comes at a lower cost than other types of advertising, such as newspaper, TV, and radio ads, relative to the audience that the ads will reach.
2. 69% of adult internet users in the United States are on Facebook. Which makes Facebook the single most popular platform on social media! If you’re seeking to branch out your social media marketing efforts, then Facebook is the best place to start. We do recommend using more than one social networking platform, of course. The average Internet user has 8.5 social media accounts.
3. 71% of customers who have had a positive social media experience with a brand are likely to recommend the brand to their friends and family. Social media is a nice platform for customer service that you can not overlook. Always check your accounts daily and reply to all comments, mentions, and messages, even if it’s just “liking” them. People don’t want to be shut out.
4. Social media marketing statistics show that when they first visit, only 2% of website visitors make a purchase. Retargeting ads on Facebook can be used to target the other 98% and turn them into customers! Retargeting works by using a pixel to monitor visitors to your website. Then use that data to create an audience of users who have visited your website without purchasing anything. Since your retargeting ads are shown only to people that have already visited your website, they have a higher rate of conversion than ads with a cold audience.
5. Only 15% of people watch videos with sound on Facebook. When creating a Facebook video make sure you add subtitles or make the video easy to understand without using sound. Otherwise, you could be wasting most of your views! When you scroll through your newsfeed, you’ll likely notice that almost all viral videos are capable with or without sound to get the point across.
6. Currently, more than 50 million small businesses use Facebook Pages to communicate with their customers. Chances are, your competition is already on Facebook. If you want to succeed, your company needs a Facebook profile. Plus, the chances of finding the right audience are incredible, with two billion active monthly users.
7. Facebook posts with photos get more than twice the engagement on average than posts without photos. On your content always use clear, high-resolution images. A bonus tip is to use photos of the faces of people. Naturally, the human eye is predisposed to identify faces, so photos with faces of people in them are more likely to catch one’s attention. But watch out for cheesy stock photos since to your audience they can come off as insincere.
8. Although posts with photos can be more engaged than those without them, Facebook posts with videos are the most engaging of all! Facebook video has 8 billion views per day! Also, Youtube reported two billion logged-in viewers every month resulting in more than one billion hours of video being watched every day. That’s a lot of videos.
9. Emoticon posts get 25% more engagement than those without them 🤑. So, to summarize, to get the highest engagement, use emoticons in the captions of video posts. Just be careful, it can be annoying to use too many emoticons. It may also not suit the tone of your brand if you prefer to be more serious.
10. Adults aged 18 to 34 years-old make up 95% of people who follow brands on social media platforms. If children or the elderly are your target group, approach their parents or caregivers to reach an audience that falls within this age category.
11. 78% of people talking to or about a brand on Twitter expect the brand to respond within one hour. This shows just how critical it is to check your accounts regularly for inquiries, feedback, and concerns. Ignoring angry customers’ Twitter complaints will intensify their annoyance with your brand. While immediately reacting with details to appease them will potentially transform dissatisfied consumers into regular customers. Users with similar opinions can also see your response, and also have a positive reaction.
12. Posts tagged to other users or places on Instagram have much higher interaction rates. Tagging users can raise engagement by 56% when using the geotag feature will increase engagement by a massive 79%.
13. 91% of all social media users use mobile devices to access social media platforms. Likewise, nearly 80% of the time spent on social media happens on mobile. It’s a great idea to target a mobile audience and make sure that any social ads you run show up in a smartphone-friendly format on mobile devices. Facebook Ads Manager has a feature that lets you monitor which device types where the majority of your ad clicks come from, so you can tailor your targeting to meet your needs.
14. Instagram brought in $20 billion in ad revenue last year. This means Instagram generated more than a quarter of Facebook’s revenue last year. Ad revenue is rising exponentially, making this a successful tool you won’t want to ignore.
15. Approximately 59% of Americans with social media accounts think social media has made customer service simpler. They believe social media has helped to answer questions and address problems quicker and more effectively than conventional routes to customer service. Also, negative feedback or complaints from dissatisfied customers should be treated in such a way as to result in a good overall experience that could lead to more sales in the future! The picture below is an example of how to respond to feedback from customers.
16. 93% of Pinterest users use the social media platform to make purchases or schedule future purchases. Although Pinterest has lower rates of interaction than most social media sites, it can be a valuable revenue-generating tool.
17. While on the subject, Pinterest is driving an impressive 25% of all retail website referral traffic. Once again, if you have an e-commerce platform, you certainly should consider Pinterest as a valuable sales generation tool. Pinterest has a sophisticated ad network similar to Twitter and Facebook, aside from uploading boards and pins.
18. 52% of adults online use two or more social media platforms. As previously mentioned, at the moment Facebook is the most popular social networking site. It is a good idea to set up accounts for your company on many different platforms. A few of the most important are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.
19. The amount of marketing budgets invested in social media is expected to more than double in the next five years. If you have a budget for social media marketing, you may want to expand your budget over the next few years. As long as you have a good ROI, you have nothing to lose, and your rival’s budgets are likely to be growing.
20. Social media marketing agencies perform nearly 22% of all social media marketing activities. Are you planning to hire a social media marketing agency to meet your social media needs? Check out SH1FT’s social media agency. Also, read this article on why you should hire a social media marketing agency.
21. The amount of money that is expected to be spent on social media is on track to outgrow TV ad spending in the near future. In the past, television advertisements may have been innovative. But you can’t get as close to hitting your target audience with television ads as you do with social media ads that provide unique targeting possibilities. Subscription services such as Netflix combined with pre-recorded TV options where you can skip advertisements make TV ads even more difficult. If you have been focused on TV advertisements in the past, it’s time to start move your promotional efforts to social media.
23. 49% of consumers claim that they rely on influencer recommendations on social media to guide their purchasing decision.
24. 85% of millennials report making a purchase either online or in-store after watching a video ad. If your ads don’t result in purchases, don’t get frustrated with social media advertising. You might just need to change your approach to begin receiving the result you want. A few optimization strategies include editing your audience on the analytics of your website visitors’ demographics. Switch to a lead generation campaign to collect email addresses or phone numbers for potential customers to reach them directly. Lastly, run retargeting ads.
25. Over two-thirds of total Instagram audiences are 34 years and younger. Based on this, if you want to target millennials, you need to be on Instagram. Although owned by Facebook, in a matter of years, Instagram is challenging to oust Facebook as the most popular social media platform.
26. Users on average around the world spend 144 minutes per day on social media sites. As a business owner, you will certainly want to have some of that time to view your posts and/or advertisements. Almost all of the social media platforms directly integrate ads into newsfeeds for users. The ads are built to appear like regular posts, so they are not blocked or ignored as easily as other types of website ads could be.
27. There are 510,000 comments, 293,000 statuses, and 136,000 photos posted every 60 seconds on Facebook. To keep up with this fast-paced platform, regularly post on your business page. Most businesses post two to ten times a week.
28. 77% of Twitter users have reported feeling favorable towards a brand when the brand’s Twitter account has responded to their tweet. This stresses the importance of not only monitoring replies and retweets but also mentions. Be sure to check any hashtags related to your brand frequently and respond appropriately to tweets.
29. Instagram stories have grown to 500 million per day. Compared to the data two years ago, this was an incredible increase, with only 150 million stories a day.
30. Influencer sponsored posts have grown to 6.12 million in 2020, which is up from 4.95 million in 2019.
For more information on creating a social media plan click here.
If you’re still debating about implementing social media marketing for your business, hopefully, this list of statistics on social media marketing has pushed you in the right direction.
Would you like to learn more? Reach out to us as we would love to tell you how our social media agency can help your business to grow!